Several times now I have been asked to recommend romantic dinner date restaurants to friends. This list has been reproduced about 8 freakin’ times. Each time saved under obscure titles then filed under even more obscure folders for safe keeping. So safe never to be found again. As a result I may have created my best list to date. YAY for us all approaching Valentine’s day. I’m welcome!
Hope you all get spoilt with love and affection. A nice meal never hurt anyone either (unless you’re picking up the bill or salmonella :/ ) Oh!… and don’t forget the flowers! How some men think girls don’t like flowers angers me. Fool! YES she wants flowers. Just-because flowers, Vday flowers, Bday flowers, I’m-sorry-I-was-hungry flowers, even $25 little flowers! Lets put an end to this fallacy.
Anyway, here’s a quick list for all you lustful lovers. I hope you all get laid! My commiserations in advance for the unlucky ones.
RELAXED DATE NIGHT / EARLY DAYS
- Riley Street Garage, Woolloomolloo. Modern Aus, Seafood, Wine bar. $$$. Manhattan style restaurant/bar, noisy and alive. Sit at the bar for a more relaxed vibe.
- 10 Williams, Paddington. Italian Wine Bar. $$$. Great little gem, hidden away on William st
- Wine library, Woollahra. Wine Bar, European tapas. Bar. $. Sit in the front bar section, perfectly lit area with a tinge of red (very sexual!)
- Wilbur’s Place, Potts Point. Modern Aus. $$. Quaint little spot, not many people know about, it’s run by the Bourke St Bakery guys so you can expect deliciousness. The food is homely and rustic and there’s a homely and reasonable priced and it’s BYO #winning.
- Bar H Dining, Surry Hills. Chinese & Jap Wine Bar. $$$
- IL Baretto – Surry Hill. Italian. $$. Very very casual option if you’re trying to impress with authentic Italian food rather than ambiance. BYO
- Phamish – Darlinghurst. Vietnamese. $$. Very very casual option – same deal as above, food is great, cheap but not the most romantic. BYO
- Vacanza – Surry Hills. Italian. $$. Darling pizzaria, open late. BYO.
A LITTLE BIT MORE INTIMATE – CAN STEAL A KISS HERE AND THERE
(Side note: Real men don’t shy away from PDA)
- A Tavola, Darlinghurst. Italian. $$$
- Movida Sydney, Surry Hills. Spanish, Tapas, Wine Bar. $$$$
- Bodega, Surry Hills. Latin American Tapas. $$$
- Monopole, Potts Point. Modern Wine Bar. $$$ Full review here
SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE SPECIAL – SYDNEY CBD OPTIONS:
- Alpha Restaurant, CBD. Incredible Greek food. $$. Full review here
- Mr Wong, CBD. Chinese. Yum Cha. $$$ Always a favourite. Full review here
- Rockpool Bar and Grill. CBD. Modern Aus. Steakhouse. Seafood. $$$$
- Cafe Sopra at Fratelli Paradiso, CBD. Italian, Pizza, Wine bar. $$$
- Ananas Bar & Brasserie, The Rocks. French, Seafood. $$$ and it’s open really late
- Cafe Nice, CBD. French, Waterfront $$$
SOMETHING A LITTLE MORE SPECIAL – OUTSIDE THE CBD:
- Longrain, Surry Hills. Thai fusion wine bar. $$$. Another goody that’s often forgotten! An excellent option for a nonchalant romantic dinner date and you can have drinks at the bar downstairs before and after your meal.
- Chiswick, Woollahra. Modern Aus. $$$ Love this botanical/country restaurant. Full Review here
- Nomad, Surry Hills. Mediterranean Wine Bar, $$$. Impressively large rustic warehouse/wine bar set up. Love! Full Review here
- China Doll, Woolloomooloo. Chinese. $$$. Crowd pleaser – great food, waterfront and outdoor seating.
TALK OF THE TOWN
A few of the on trend, so hot right Hansel options to give the impression that you did your research
- The Potting Shed, Alexandria. Modern Aus. $$. Set outdoor in a garden setting, with fairly lights every, reaaalll purrdyy!!
- Berta, Surry Hills. Italian Wine Bar $$$$ – Tuesday they do Sagra at Berat where they celebrate on ket procude and based the menu around it for $55pp http://www.berta.com.au/events
- ACME, Rushcutters. Modern Aus and Italian. $$$. Be prepared for love of re-invented delicious italian dishes.
- Cho Cho San, Potts Point. Jap cocktail and wine bar. $$
- Vine Bar, Double Bay. Modern French, Wine bar. $$$
The INTERACTIVE DINNER
There’s something very inviting about a communal table setting, there’s always lots of chatter and love around the table. If you’re in the mood for an intimate family dinner with a bunch of friendly strangers, try:
- Farmhouse Potts Point. Mordern Aus. Communal menu/shared plates. Set food menu $55. Just amazing and great value. Had my 30th here. Full review here
- Jimmy Liks, Potts Point. Thai Fusion, Wine Bar. $$ Makes me sad that this little place gets forgotten about.
- Toko, Surry Hills. Modern Jap. $$$
Degustations are always great fun too.. a little expensive but fun! Each serving is the start of a new conversation . If you want to try something on the more quirky side you cant go past
- Pinbone, Woollahra. Modern. Go for the small $65 chef’s selection – so much food!
- Cafe Paci, Darlinghurst. European. If you and your date are into new experiences of the culinary type then this is a great choice. $85 per person
- Gastro Park, Potts Point. Highly recommend getting the 7 course degustation, you get to try most of the key dishes in one sitting. $140 per person
- Apollo, Potts Point. Greek $$$. Not a degustation as such, more of set menu but just as fun from $55. Full Review here
No list is complete with the fine dining options. I know I’m not telling you anything new here, but for the completeness of the list I feel the need to include them as they are all wonderful options. Even if they are a bit cliche for a romantic dinner, most people would be creaming and delighted to go there.
- Cafe Sydney, CBD. Modern, Seafood. $$$$. Spectacular harbour view!
- Quay, The Rocks. Modern Aust. $$$$. Peter Gilmore’s Snowball – enough said!
- Sepia, CBD. Modern Seafood Wine Bar. $$$$ Recommend the $190
- Catalina, Rose Bay. $$$$. Mediterranean + Modern Aus. Ocean surrounding, stunning view.
- Pendelino, CBD. Italian fine dining, $$$$. Situated at the end of the picturesque Victorian Strand Arcade
Since posting I’ve had a few recommendations from some very helpful readers – these include:
- The Flying Fish Restaurant, Pyrmont. Modern, Seafood. $$$$. Fine Dining (From Keli Parkes, Sydney)
- Sokyo, Pyrmont. Japanese. $$$$. Fine Dining (From Keli Parkes, Sydney)
- Altitude Restaurant at the Shangri la Hotel, Sydney. $$$$. Modern European. Fine Dining (From Keli Parkes, Sydney)
- Icebergs Dining Room and Bar, Bondi Beach. $$$$ Mediterranean, Italian, Seafood. Fine dining. Amazing view (From Rhonda Maunder, Sydney)
I’ve also written up a list for Best date spots in Bondi Beach. Make sure you check it out :)
All the best ;)
Love Bangers x